Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Parts Info, Tech Tips and Tinkering > Sticky: 7A38-xxxx Model Codes / Part Numbers Alternative

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Those of you who've previously used Seiko Oceania's database to look up model numbers / sales codes and part number information, will no doubt be as bitterly disappointed as I was, to learn that earlier this week, without warning, they have blocked access to the general viewing public. Given the wealth of data that was freely available, it's not really a surprise, and presumably follows a dictate from Seiko Corporate, to bring them in line with other service operations. In case you weren't aware, my last couple of posts in this thread refer.

There are other search options available, such as Jules Borel or Boley.de, but both have their downsides. Borel's database doesn't differentiate when there are multiple finish variants within the same case model number and includes too many generic substitues for my liking. Boley's database is slightly better in that respect, but they have prefixed all the original Seiko parts numbers with 984. :roll:

Here's a comparison of their parts data on the 7A38-7260 (all three variants):

Borel: http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=SEK+CS%237A38-7260&submit

Boley: http://boley.de/en/case-parts/seiko/12440.7a38-7260?p=374&s=50

August 7, 2020 at 6:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Having been a 'logistics guy' in a previous career (I worked for intel European Product Service for 17 years), I understand the importance of having the correct model / part number information when you're searching for that elusive part. 

Thanks to a 'heads up' from Derek, I discovered Seiko Oceania's old datatabase as far back as June 2009. :) Suspecting that one day the information might no longer be available in the public domain, I set about creating my own 7A38 spreadsheet database, by manually copying and pasting into Excel, what I considered the most important data and also adding in a few missing models. It took me few months. 

I still have it on my PC fortunately. The spreadsheet looks something like this:

It runs for nearly 400 rows (50 more than Seiko Oz's database) and ends with this:

August 7, 2020 at 7:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

The spreadsheet was deliberately created in that rather narrow layout, so it could be printed out on A4 paper in portrait format. I've just checked in print preview and it's approx. 10 pages, single-sided. Here's another copy and paste from somewhere in the middle, of my data on the 7A38-7260 variants:

I actually used that this morning, to be sure of my facts, before passing comment on that messed-about with 7A38-7260 listed by the Italian eBay seller yesterday. ;)

August 7, 2020 at 7:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Whereas the bulk of the correct Seiko part number information (albeit prefixed 984) is still currently available to the viewing public on Boley.de, they don't differentiate between case finish variants within the same case model number. Indeed, there are no Seiko sales codes whatsoever. However, I'll admit I was impressed to see their data for the 7A38-7260 included all 4 part numbers for the different leather straps.

My own Excel spreadsheet 7A38 database, which despite a number of fairly recent discoveries (like the undocumented Italian market 7A38-706A/B variants and a few more ZFM variants), sadly hasn't been updated since May 2013. If I'm honest, I guess it was more convenient to look stuff up on Seiko Oz while we had access.

My plan is to get it updated ASAP, including correcting a few erroneous sales codes (copied verbatim from Seiko Oz's database) and rectifying a few earlier incorrect assumptions. That means going through it row by row, checking all 400 lines (and adding in a few more). The existing spreadsheet aready includes the Seiko sales code, dial identifier and bracelet / strap part numbers.

My long term plan (and this will take a while), is to change it to landscape format and add more columns to the right of Comments, with Seiko part number fields for:

Bezel, Crystal, Crown, Pushers, Dial Ring, Case-back gasket and possibly Hands.

When I've finished, I'll publish it in a similar manner to my Orient J39 database.

August 7, 2020 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kerochan

Have you published your spreadsheet on the forum? Am looking to get some new crystals from Cousins UK and would like to see what alternative parts might fit.

November 10, 2020 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

No Sorry Dave. Been busy with other stuff. :(

November 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.