Yema Spationaute III Aragatz - Addenda et Errata

Where to post about Cartier Ferrari Formulas, Orient J39s, Yema N7s and N8s, etc.
Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Yema Spationaute III Aragatz - Addenda et Errata

Post by Seiko7A38 »

The Yema Spationaute III Aragatz (full size 43mm version, model # N80P76) is probably still my favourite non-Seiko branded 7A38, (although the Orient J39x01-70 'Diver' runs it very close). My first Spationaute III was a beater parts watch, purchased in December 2009 for €66 Euros. Ten years later, my collection had swelled to around 20 of them, including half a dozen with the desirable 'Mission Flags' dial. Being overly enthusiastic, I'd written extensively about these underrated French space watches, in a number of threads on the old forum:

Original pre-production design drawings of Yema N8's
Yema N7s and N8s spotted on eBay, LeBonCoin and Yahoo.jp
What became of Jean-Loup Chretien's Yema Spationaute III ?
Yema Spationaute III Mission Flags Dial - Clarification, at last !
Comparative values: Yema Spationaute III vs Omega 'Speedy' ??
My newest incoming Yema Spationaute III .... and strap changes !
Aragatz - Anniversaire 25 Ans - a celebration of Spationautes - Mis a jour: 30 Ans !

I've also started a couple of threads in this new forum:

Yema Spationaute III Aragatz as an investment ? Erm No.
Michel Tognini's Yema Spationaute III flown on Antares mission

So did it really need another Yema Spationaute III thread ? I think so. Even when you think you've covered every aspect, there's always the occasional relevant snippet of information that comes to light. Unfortunately I can't add anything to the archived topics on the old forum, so I intend to use this thread as a catch-all. ;)

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: Yema Spationaute III Aragatz - Addenda et Errata

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I've also posted about them on a couple of French forums including Conquête Spatiale (as Spationaute III) and of course, the major French watch forum Forum À Montres - using my regular 'Seiko 7A38' handle, mostly on their Yema sub-forum.

Thing is, although there are clearly some avid and very knowledgeable Yema collectors on there, quartz is generally looked down on with disdain and eschewed by the majority of their membership. National pride dictates that Yema's ownership by C.G.H. (Seiko) from 1988-2004 is barely murmured. Earlier this week, to my surprise, one of those die-hard Yema mechanical collectors, hommemega posted this wrist shot of a Spationaute III in the Yema WRUW thread.

rsz_yema-spationauteiii-forumamontres-hommemega-wristshot-wed8.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-forumamontres-hommemega-wristshot-wed8.jpg (241.1 KiB) Viewed 4342 times

He followed it up yesterday, with this more detailed post in a Spationaute III thread, which I'd previously contributed to.

FAM-SpationauteIII-Hommemega-Post.png
FAM-SpationauteIII-Hommemega-Post.png (66.45 KiB) Viewed 4345 times

Google translates his post as follows:
Reading the MPC book, "Time of Heroes" gave birth to a new interest in me for Yema that I had disdained until now, quartz oblige, namely space watches, astronauts, in particular the blue III which is in fact really worthy of a stop.

It is not an ordinary quartz, but a Seiko 7A38 with 4 motors, chrono to 1/20 sec with a "split" function, equivalent if I am not mistaken to the rattrapante of mechanical chronos, the CGH (compagnie générale horlogère ) and Yema having passed at this time (1988 and since 1986), sold by Matra horlogerie, in the bosom of Hattori Seiko, but always with a French team, benefiting from the know-how in research, development and manufacturing of the Japanese giant.
Particularly demanding specifications had been drawn up for this watch in view of its space destiny, particularly on the wrist of our astronaut Jean-Loup Chrétien who took off with such a watch on his wrist on November 26, 1988 aboard Soyuz TM7 to join the MIR station, for the Franco-Soviet ARAGATZ mission.

NOS with its original Yema leather strap, all steel, 43mm, water resistant to 100m, color and a nice presence on the wrist, combined with a good price accepted by a transalpine seller, I fell in love...

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I'd already figured out where he'd bought it from - the clue being 'good price accepted by a transalpine seller'. It was listed by an Italian eBay seller last month, with a Buy-it-Now price of €390 Euros, with the option to make an offer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265637899133

Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-April2022-Ended-Sold-BestOffer.png
Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-April2022-Ended-Sold-BestOffer.png (46.4 KiB) Viewed 4337 times

Here's just a few of the Italian seller's dozen photos. Note the black plastic Yema hang tag, without its card inlay.

rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2022-2.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2022-2.jpg (244.73 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2022-4.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2022-4.jpg (244.12 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2022-7.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2022-7.jpg (242.71 KiB) Viewed 4336 times
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2022-12.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2022-12.jpg (244.65 KiB) Viewed 4336 times

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

But what intrigued me more were his statement:
Reading the MPC book, "Time of Heroes" gave birth to a new interest in me for Yema that I had disdained until now, quartz oblige, namely space watches, astronauts, in particular the blue III which is in fact really worthy of a stop.
.... and a couple of the photos he uploaded to that post, particularly his first:

rsz_yema-spationauteiii-forumamontres-hommemega-1.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-forumamontres-hommemega-1.jpg (243.78 KiB) Viewed 4323 times

The black plastic Yema hang tag is the obvious giveaway to it being the same Spationaute III. Presumably it was taken using a page of that 'MPC' book as background. The drawing of a prototype Yema Spationaute III is the same one that Gerald Roden had sent me a photo of, back in July 2013 (see this thread). To the right are two small photos of Michel Tognini's space-flown Spationaute III, now fitted with a black and yellow striped NATO.

Probably because I don't visit FAM regularly, I'd been totally unaware of the existence of this book. I asked the question and hommemega replied, explaining that 'MPC' was Marie-Pia Coustans, a French authoress, specializing in horology. He then posted a link to a 7-page thread. Reading through it, there appear to have been two versions of a Yema book under discussion. The first was entitled 'Les heures de l'horlogerie française' and seems to have been a limited edition of only 200, crowd-funded by subscription through Le Club Yema Facebook group. It was published in December 2020 and is sold out. References to a second book start around page 5 of the thread. The second book was entitled 'Time of Heroes' (a reference to Yema's 1990's marketing campaign L'Heure des Héros), which they've recently revived.

rsz_yema-spationauteiii-forumamontres-hommemega-2.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-forumamontres-hommemega-2.jpg (244.32 KiB) Viewed 4303 times

It was originally only available as part of a combined kickstarter offering from Yema.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I've no idea how many pages of Marie-Pia's book are dedicated to the Yema Spationaute III, or for that matter, the Seiko C.G.H. 'quartz' era. Hommega also included this photo of the text from another page in his post:

rsz_yema-spationauteiii-forumamontres-hommemega-yema-timeofheroes-text.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-forumamontres-hommemega-yema-timeofheroes-text.jpg (241.97 KiB) Viewed 4296 times

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I purchased a copy of Marie-Pia Coustans' book YEMA Time of Heroes. There are plenty of illustrations, but naturally all the text is in French. There are no plans for an English edition. As I'm primarily interested in Yema's period of ownership by C.G.H. (i.e. Seiko France), when the N7's and N8's were produced, I asked her if she could email me the French text of the relevant chapters - pages 158 - 188. Although it took another month, she kindly obliged, but asked that I didn't share it. So here's a screen print of a Google translation of just the text from page 165 shown in the previous post.

Yema-Time_of_Heroes-SpationauteIII-Text-Page165.png
Yema-Time_of_Heroes-SpationauteIII-Text-Page165.png (77.59 KiB) Viewed 3440 times

*Jean-Christophe Thieux is the poster Jecko who wrote a couple of articles about Yema's association with space on the French Forum Conquête Spatial and Forumamontres, way back in 2006 / 7. Unfortunately, nearly all the embedded photos have long since disappeared into the ether (apart from a few of mine, which were added later).
See: L'heure des Spationautes, Les montres Spationautes and La Saga Yema Spationaute.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I've been in sporadic contact with Marie-Pia Coustans since July. She kindly sent me the two photos of Michel Tognini's Yema Spationaute III, which appeared on page 166 of her book. They're quite a bit larger than they appear in print; unfortunately not particularly high resolution, but you can read the case-back serial number 04 in the second photo.

Yema-SpationauteIII-MichelTognini-Marie-PiaCoustans-TimeofHeroes-Pg166-1.jpeg
Yema-SpationauteIII-MichelTognini-Marie-PiaCoustans-TimeofHeroes-Pg166-1.jpeg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
Yema-SpationauteIII-MichelTognini-Marie-PiaCoustans-TimeofHeroes-Pg166-2.jpeg
Yema-SpationauteIII-MichelTognini-Marie-PiaCoustans-TimeofHeroes-Pg166-2.jpeg (68.98 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

In her most recent email (in French) she wrote:
I had managed to reach one Russian cosmonaut who was to have a Spationaute. After a few exchanges with the help of a Russian, I received a disappointing photo of her Spationaute: only the strap. He only has that today.
Needless to say, I've replied out of curiosity, asking the question.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

This erratum concerns the correctness of Yema presentation boxes for Spationaute III's. Most watch collectors, including myself, like to have the right boxes and papers when purchasing a NOS watch and some people will go to great lengths to source missing accessories, because apart from being 'nice to have', they add to the resale value.

Rewind back to August 2012. A US eBay seller izeldor, a.k.a. Isidor Farash and Leanne Ross, who as F Ross Llc were once the official US importers and distrubutors for Yema (among other brands), discovered a cache of unsold Spationaute III's in the basement stockroom of their Wood Ridge, New Jersey store. I'm not sure how many there were in total, maybe a couple of dozen, but they listed them on eBay between August 2012 and December 2013, with asking prices of $250, later reduced to $225. Many were documented in the old forum's Yema N8's spotted thread. From memory, examples I saw had 1-xxx or 2-xxx prefix serial numbers, meaning they were manufactured in 1989 or 1990. They came supplied with a lacquered wooden Yema presentation box containing a cream coloured vinyl pillow. This is the photo of the presentation box from their original eBay listing in August 2012:

YemaSpationauteIII-eBay-August2012-Box.jpg
YemaSpationauteIII-eBay-August2012-Box.jpg (16.03 KiB) Viewed 1046 times

Looking back at the description of that listing (which is saved in my post dated 18th August 2012), the only reference to the box is: 'Attractive wooden Yema gift box included!'. Some collectors took advantage of the relatively low price and bought a couple. I ended up buying three of them. The boxes measure approx 100mm x 100mm x 70mm high and have a 'Made in China' sticker underneath. They're protected by a gloss white cardboard outer box, which also has a 'Made in China' sticker underneath. I didn't think a great deal about it at the time and assumed these lacquered wooden boxes must have been sourced for the US market by F Ross Llc. I've never seen them anywhere else, except when originally sold by izeldor, or when their Spationaute III's were subsequently being re-sold - for example here.

Amusingly, earlier this month, izeldor listed what presumably must have been their last unsold Yema Spationaute III on eBay, with an opening bid price of $875. I documented it further down that same thread. The listing included this photo of the watch in the slightly shop-soiled wooden Yema presentation box:

rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-jan2023-another-14.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-jan2023-another-14.jpg (242.36 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

I hadn't noticed it before, because it wasn't included in the main body of the description, but instead further down there was a comment about the box:

Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-Feb2023-Description-Box.png
Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-Feb2023-Description-Box.png (9.97 KiB) Viewed 1028 times

Yema Spationaute III's were manufactured between 1989 and 1994, so by their own words, these boxes are not period correct. Indeed izeldor appears to have used them out of convenience / to facilitate sales of their old unsold stock. They didn't include a photo of the 'original' box, but I strongly suspect it's this type in brown cardboard with a velour lined interior and a pliable loop watch holder.

Yema-Presentation-Box-eBay-July2018-1.jpg
Yema-Presentation-Box-eBay-July2018-1.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
Yema-Presentation-Box-eBay-July2018-3.jpg
Yema-Presentation-Box-eBay-July2018-3.jpg (70.32 KiB) Viewed 1018 times
Yema-Presentation-Box-eBay-July2018-5.jpg
Yema-Presentation-Box-eBay-July2018-5.jpg (60.09 KiB) Viewed 1018 times

Incidentally this earlier style of boxes were seen in another cache of unsold new old stock (including Spationaute III's, Flygrafs and N81W63's) turned up by US eBay seller watchaddict412 in February 2018, which were documented starting on page 26 of the old forum's Yema N8's spotted thread. Amusingly, as it transpires, In hindsight, I wrote at the time:

Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-Feb2018-OldForum-Post.png
Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-Feb2018-OldForum-Post.png (142.11 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-feb2018-1.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-feb2018-1.jpg (225.64 KiB) Viewed 1015 times

So it goes to show - just because you see lots of something, coming from a supposedly reputable source, it's not always safe to assume it's correct and original. ;)

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

This post is by way of an addendum to one of the old forum topics I cited in my first post, viz. ....

Yema Spationaute III Mission Flags Dial - Clarification, at last !

I'd begun compiling a list of limited edition number versus manufacturing serial numbers seen on Yema Spationaute III's with the 'Cadran Drapeaux' dial, by editing and updating an earlier post (dating from 6 years ago - April 17th, 2017).

Yema-SpationauteIII-SerialNumbers-OldForum-Post.png
Yema-SpationauteIII-SerialNumbers-OldForum-Post.png (77.98 KiB) Viewed 864 times

Obviously I can no longer do that, nor add to the archived thread. :( However, I still keep my eye open for them. 8-)

A week ago today, a Yema Spationaute III with the commemorative mission flags dial was listed by a French eBay seller as a 7-day auction. There was evidently a lot of interest - last time I checked, it had 50 watchers. Although I fancied another, I didn't need one; nor did I really expect to win the auction. Besides, I wasn't enamoured with the prospect of having to pay 20% VAT on top. It sold 10 minutes ago for €400.67 Euros (approx. £353.16 GBP) after 23 bids.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394567821323

Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-April2023-Ended-Sold-400.67Euros.png
Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-April2023-Ended-Sold-400.67Euros.png (42.39 KiB) Viewed 860 times

For the record, that example was series # 097 and serial number 1 399 (as visible in the seller's photos).

rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2023-1.jpg
rsz_yema-spationauteiii-ebay-april2023-1.jpg (245.08 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-April2023-10.jpg
Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-April2023-10.jpg (173.83 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-April2023-11.jpg
Yema-SpationauteIII-eBay-April2023-11.jpg (160.99 KiB) Viewed 856 times