Seiko 7A38 - by the numbers

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > 7A38-xxxx Model Specific Area > 7A38-6070 SAA073J - Black Chrome Coated Large 'Diver'

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Seiko7A38 at January 26, 2019 at 6:05 PM

As regular readers may have guessed from the lack of updates this week, I'm now posting in 'catch-up' mode, so please accept my apologies if these threads are updated slightly out of chronological order. ;)

The 5-day Italian eBay auction for that well-worn and botched 7A38-6070 ended mid-week, selling for 71 Euros after 14 bids.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173748378010

While I remember, a somewhat belated update on that well-worn 7A38-6070, which sold back in January for 71 Euros. Turns out the buyer was erstwhile forum member 'Ketap' (Carlo). In June, he posted photos in a couple of threads on UhrForum.de. (The first photo is a crop from the second.)

From the excessive wear to the case and bezel, it's obviously the same 7A38-6070. Either he or his watchmaker has fitted a replacement movement, but with white day / day wheels, rather than the correct black backgrounds. Looks like he was unable to source the correct crown* and for want of anything closer, appears to have fitted one off a brown coated 7A38-6020. Carlo describes it as 'shabby chique' [sic] (chic). Personally, I'm inclined to agree with the first word. :P

*Seiko p/n 50M38EH1.

August 23, 2019 at 10:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This 7A38-6070, showing plenty of wear to the black chrome coating of both bezel thumbgrips and case and fitted with a generic rubber strap, was listed earlier this afternoon, by an Italian eBay seller, with a 'pie-in-the-sky' Buy-it-Now price of 350 Euros, or the option to make an offer. Whereas the sub-dials don't appear to be too badly faded, note the once red graduation marks of the minute ring have typically been sun-bleached to a very pale yellow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323999708111

Seiko 7A38-6070 Quartz Chronograph sports 150. Cronografo Seiko usato funzionante. La cassa misura circa 42mm corona esclusa e presenta segni d usura. Il vetro presenta graffi. Il cinturino di gomma è generico senza logo. Formula visto e piaciuto. Spedizione tracciabile con Poste italiane solo in Europa. Per ulteriori informazioni, chiarimenti foto o video contantattatemi.

December 2, 2019 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

Being a fairly rare variant, I thought that 7A38-6070 might have sold rather quicker (against a best offer, rather than for the Buy-it-Now price), but after nearly three weeks, it was still there unsold. :/ This morning, the Italian eBay seller ended the listing as item no longer available. Presumably sold off eBay against a 'back door' offer. I'm not sure of the significance of the light blue header bar, compared to the orange background, usually seen when eBay listings are ended in this manner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323999708111

December 22, 2019 at 7:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

As previously mentioned in a couple of other threads, I've recently started browsing Instagram, 'cherry picking' a few interesting photos. I'd already ear-marked the first wrist shot of this decent condition 7A38-6070 uploaded a week ago, as one to post here, then the Instagram poster mireyasun uploaded another one this morning.

Turns out the Instagram poster is the same person as forum member Irwansun. ;)

Irwan has also uploaded this short video of it to Instagram showing the strap fitted.

April 22, 2020 at 1:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

In case anybody was wondering why some links in my previous post didn't work anymore, it's because Irwan subsequently changed his Instagram user ID from mireyasun to theseikonatic. Here's another more recent post of his 7A38-6070.

January 14, 2021 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

This well-worn 7A38-6070, fitted with a rubber 'Dive' strap was listed yesterday evening by an Italian eBay seller, as a 10-day auction with an opening bid price of 100 Euros. If I'm not mistaken, the bulk of the description appears to have been copied almost verbatim from my Specification and Buyers Guide post on the first page of this thread and translated into Italian. The Italian seller has since joined the forum as member Brillante, with the obvious intention of plugging his listing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254834028926

Seiko 7A38-6070 SAA073J. La Dimensioni: 42,5 mm di diametro (esclusi corona e pulsanti) x 46 mm misurati sulle estremità delle anse x 13,5 mm di profondità. 

Le estremità delle anse sono larghe 23 mm, ma l'effettiva larghezza dell'ansa / incavo di fissaggio del cinturino è di soli 18 mm (utilizza un cinturino dentellato a tutta larghezza). 

Materiale della cassa: acciaio inossidabile - rivestimento in cromo nero. Così come la corona e il pulsante a ore 4. 

I pulsanti a ore 10 e 2 sono in acciaio inossidabile lucido, come quelli utilizzati sui modelli 7A38-6060 e JDM 7A38-6050. 

Lunetta bidirezionale a 60 clic, con bordo zigrinato poco profondo e sei impugnature rialzate, in finitura Black Chrome. 

"Quadrante: il numero di parte è 7A38605LXB19. Il quadrante è nero con un quadrante superiore grigio antracite minimale che porta i bastoni luminosi. 

Gli anelli del quadrante secondario di 1/10 di secondo e 30 minuti sono contrassegnati in rosso. L'anello del quadrante dei minuti ha segni rossi su sfondo nero. 

Marcature sul quadrante: SEIKO (stampato) QUARTZ Chronograph SPORTS 150; in basso GIAPPONE 7A38 605L T Simbolo Suwa. 

Ruote giorno e data: scritta bianca su sfondo nero. Le seconde lingue viste includono: francese e italiano. 

Lancette: le lancette delle ore e dei minuti sono bianche (con lume). La lancetta dei secondi e le lancette del quadrante secondario sono rosso-arancio con borchie nere. 

Seiko crystal p / n: 300WF2FK01 - 30,0 mm Ø x 3,5 mm di spessore, Hesalite a doppia cupola poco profonda - NLA; nessun sostituto identificato al momento. 

Contrassegni sul fondello: fondello a doppia onda; 7A38-6070 [A0] SEIKO BASE METAL ST. FONDO IN ACCIAIO RESISTENTE ALL'ACQUA.

January 14, 2021 at 5:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

I hadn't been watching that Italian eBay auction for a well-worn 7A38-6070 closely. The last time I'd looked at it, the bidding had crept up to around 150 Euros. Although I certainly didn't need another lesser example, I'd deliberately placed a throwaway bid (123.45) on it, with absolutely no intention of following through. You see I'd kind of expected this to happen, sooner or later. Ten minutes ago, the almost inevitable eBay Bid Cancellation notification wafted into my email inbox.

No great surprise (or loss) to me personally, the seller had ended the listing early - allegedly as no longer available, automatically cancelling all bids in the process.

Checking the eBay Bidding History shows that the highest cancelled bid was for 152 Euros. Presumably it was sold off eBay in response to a 'back door' offer for a figure in excess of that. :/ In view of his likely motive for joining the forum (to promote it), perhaps our most recent member Brillante might deign to disclose what it sold for.

January 16, 2021 at 5:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Brillante

Seiko7A38 at January 14, 2021 at 5:20 AM

This well-worn 7A38-6070, fitted with a rubber 'Dive' strap was listed yesterday evening by an Italian eBay seller, as a 10-day auction with an opening bid price of 100 Euros. If I'm not mistaken, the bulk of the description appears to have been copied almost verbatim from my Specification and Buyers Guide post on the first page of this thread and translated into Italian. The Italian seller has since joined the forum as member Brillante, with the obvious intention of plugging his listing.

Seiko 7A38-6070 SAA073J. La Dimensioni: 42,5 mm di diametro (esclusi corona e pulsanti) x 46 mm misurati sulle estremità delle anse x 13,5 mm di profondità. 

Le estremità delle anse sono larghe 23 mm, ma l'effettiva larghezza dell'ansa / incavo di fissaggio del cinturino è di soli 18 mm (utilizza un cinturino dentellato a tutta larghezza). 

Materiale della cassa: acciaio inossidabile - rivestimento in cromo nero. Così come la corona e il pulsante a ore 4. 

I pulsanti a ore 10 e 2 sono in acciaio inossidabile lucido, come quelli utilizzati sui modelli 7A38-6060 e JDM 7A38-6050. 

Lunetta bidirezionale a 60 clic, con bordo zigrinato poco profondo e sei impugnature rialzate, in finitura Black Chrome. 

"Quadrante: il numero di parte è 7A38605LXB19. Il quadrante è nero con un quadrante superiore grigio antracite minimale che porta i bastoni luminosi. 

Gli anelli del quadrante secondario di 1/10 di secondo e 30 minuti sono contrassegnati in rosso. L'anello del quadrante dei minuti ha segni rossi su sfondo nero. 

Marcature sul quadrante: SEIKO (stampato) QUARTZ Chronograph SPORTS 150; in basso GIAPPONE 7A38 605L T Simbolo Suwa. 

Ruote giorno e data: scritta bianca su sfondo nero. Le seconde lingue viste includono: francese e italiano. 

Lancette: le lancette delle ore e dei minuti sono bianche (con lume). La lancetta dei secondi e le lancette del quadrante secondario sono rosso-arancio con borchie nere. 

Seiko crystal p / n: 300WF2FK01 - 30,0 mm Ø x 3,5 mm di spessore, Hesalite a doppia cupola poco profonda - NLA; nessun sostituto identificato al momento. 

Contrassegni sul fondello: fondello a doppia onda; 7A38-6070 [A0] SEIKO BASE METAL ST. FONDO IN ACCIAIO RESISTENTE ALL'ACQUA.

Hello everyone the watch for sale is mine. I have withdrawn the announcement because next week I will receive the original bezel and a strap very similar to the original. Next week I'll post the ad again and you want photos and videos in perfect working order. I'm available thanks

January 16, 2021 at 7:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Seiko7A38
Site Owner

To make it 'perfect' I think you also need to source a new crystal and minute ring. ;)

January 16, 2021 at 7:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.