How NOT to successfully register on this forum

Includes testing area for you to practice.
Seiko7A38
Site Admin

How NOT to successfully register on this forum

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I would like to remind any potential new members to read the Rules and Guidelines for using this forum. Admittedly I need to update them again, because stating one's location is now a mandatory requirement of the registration process.
Seiko7A38 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:52 amPlease ensure to state your location in your member profile (even if you've done so in your intro'). This was something that I'd stipulated as a mandatory requirement on the old forum and intend to enforce on this one.

Incidentally anybody caught, or suspected of, deliberately giving false details, attempting to impersonate another member, or anyone else for that matter, scamming or spamming will be automatically banned immediately. :!:

Ban-button.gif
Ban-button.gif (110.74 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
This morning, I happened to look at the members' list and saw a newly registered member had joined, but was still then inactive. They'd falsely stated their location as 'United States' (which was insufficient detail as far as I was concerned).

NewlyRegistered-William7a-Banned.png
NewlyRegistered-William7a-Banned.png (21.54 KiB) Viewed 5551 times

Checking the IP address showed their true location to be Reggio Calabria (RC), Italy. In fact, even before I checked that, I'd smelled a rat. William7a is another of the various aliases used by devious Italian eBay collector Giuseppe M. He'd also previously used William Hill :lol: to sign up to the Seiko Passion Facebook group (after his original ID was banned). :cry:
Not that there ever was any doubt in my mind as to this person's true identity, either - as shown on one of Giuseppe's current Subito listings (where he's actually used his own name and location).

7A38-7050-(Divers)-Stainless-DarkGrey+Peppermint-Subito-June2021-Listing.jpg
7A38-7050-(Divers)-Stainless-DarkGrey+Peppermint-Subito-June2021-Listing.jpg (181.9 KiB) Viewed 5523 times

Arrivederci, Giuseppe. :arrow:

Ban-button.gif
Ban-button.gif (110.74 KiB) Viewed 5547 times

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: How NOT to successfully register on this forum

Post by Seiko7A38 »

Yesterday afternoon, a new member registered on the forum with a rather unpleasant username of cenotaph, using a random gmail address. Their first mistake was to state their location as 'Earth'. Everybody loves a smartass, right ? :roll: Although they spent some time browsing, they didn't actually post anything. They went as far as adding a signature to their profile: a quote from US humorist and writer, Ambrose Bierce, which I construed as being intentionally sarcastic.
"The covers of this book are too far apart."

Cenotaph-30-03-2022-Profile.png
Cenotaph-30-03-2022-Profile.png (20.56 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

I already had a pretty good idea who this anonymous person was, from their choice of quote. They'd previously added a risibly hypocritical quote from Marcus Aurelius to their eBay profile:

Millauctionhouse-eBay-profile-MarcusAurelius-Quote.png
Millauctionhouse-eBay-profile-MarcusAurelius-Quote.png (149.83 KiB) Viewed 3739 times

Checking their IP address revealed their location to be Phoenix, Arizona, which more or less instantly sealed their fate.

Cenotaph-30-03-2022-IPLocation-PhoenixAZ-Intel-Hosting.png
Cenotaph-30-03-2022-IPLocation-PhoenixAZ-Intel-Hosting.png (88.07 KiB) Viewed 3745 times

So long Marky-Mark-up Marc. :arrow:

Ban-button.gif
Ban-button.gif (110.74 KiB) Viewed 3729 times