Another 'black' dialed Racer J39 turns out to be BLUE !

Where to post about Cartier Ferrari Formulas, Orient J39s, Yema N7s and N8s, etc.
Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Another 'black' dialed Racer J39 turns out to be BLUE !

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I think I must be going colour-blind in my old age - probably from squinting at too many 'iffy' photos on the Internet. :lol:

You may have read this erroneously-titled thread, where I thought I'd finally managed to get hold of a particular dial colour variant of J39908-70 (black with gold sub-dials) that had eluded me. It turned out to be another example of the blue dial with gold-sub-dials - and frankly not in much better condition than the one I already had in my collection. :(

In hindsight, looking back at the Spanish seller's photos again, even in the small Milanuncios listing images, which I first saw, there was a definite blue tinge to the dial.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: Another 'black' dialed Racer J39 turns out to be BLUE !

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I later wrote another over-confidently titled thread: Snagged 3 black dialed Racers in 24 hours ! It was April 1st. :roll:
Seiko7A38 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:14 pm Whereas NOS is always nice to have, it was the third Racer I spotted on Wallapop yesterday morning that I craved most. I already have a couple of J39026-70 'Breitbling' clones, with burgundy and white dials. The oldest is undoubtedly by far the worst condition J39 in my collection and the second isn't a lot better. This one is certainly no oil painting, but it appears to be in better condition - and it has a black dial, which I hadn't seen before. So I absolutely had to have it.
You can read the full story in my second post of that thread, but here's the sharpest of the Spanish seller's three photos:

Racer-Orient-J39026-70-Gold-BlackFace-Wallapop-(+Vinted)-March2021-2.jpeg
Racer-Orient-J39026-70-Gold-BlackFace-Wallapop-(+Vinted)-March2021-2.jpeg (115.63 KiB) Viewed 2942 times

Now is it my eyesight, or does that dial look black ? :?:

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: Another 'black' dialed Racer J39 turns out to be BLUE !

Post by Seiko7A38 »

Well it's not ! It's actually a gloriously deep shade of dark metallic blue !! :o

rsz_p1670057-crop.jpg
rsz_p1670057-crop.jpg (234 KiB) Viewed 2933 times

After cleaning the case and pushers, I could have reassembled it, but for the moment, the watch is currently still in pieces. The perennial parts problem with these Orient and Racer J39's. :( Although it may not have looked so bad in the seller's photos, the crystal was quite badly chipped and scratched. In the past, I have robbed one or two crystals from Orient HFA 7T32 BreitBling parts watches, but I can't keep doing that. I need to find a source of suitable generic replacements, with the correct thickness and polished bevel edge. I may have to resort to getting a batch made. :|