7A38-7190

Where to post about Seiko 7A38s, photos, questions, whatever.
Garfield

7A38-7190

Post by Garfield »

I am about to embark on a restore of a rather distressed 7A38-7190.

I seek the experience of others -

Crystal replacement - does the bezel need to be removed (I believe it does)
Pusher Seals - are these standard Seiko items used on other chrono's.

Sources of parts in general. Does anyone have case details / images for these Seiko to determine what is original vs what is not. - I could do with some stainless pushers as one is damaged. The coils also seem to be unobtanium as does the circuit.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: 7A38-7190

Post by Seiko7A38 »

You don't need to remove the bezel to replace the crystal in one of this type of 7A38. I've always found it easier to press the old one out from inside the watch case, with the bezel in situ. You need to be careful to select a nylon die small enough to pass cleanly through the plastic Tachymeter ring. Doing it this way saves disturbing the white nylon gasket between the bezel and watch case, which can be problematic to re-fit.

The pusher seals are the same as those used in other 7A38's with lower water resistance - but not the same as used in Sports 100 and Sports 150 variants. I personally use Cousins generic replacements, which are a lot cheaper than genuine Seiko O-Rings - their p/n G39081.

Have you tried googling ? Here's an oldish photo of one of my two stainless 7A38-7190's, which incidentally is all original.

rsz_p1740040-crop.jpg
rsz_p1740040-crop.jpg (243.49 KiB) Viewed 459 times

What do you think is not original about your watch ? Did you buy it on eBay recently ?

PS- You may find this thread on SCWF helpful.