7a38 Service

Where to post about Seiko 7A38s, photos, questions, whatever.
jburns13

7a38 Service

Post by jburns13 »

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a reputable watchmaker to service my 7a38 from 1988. Currently living in the UAE, but I have no issue sending it abroad if needed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

JB

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: 7a38 Service

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I'd personally recommend Simon Wilkinson, who's based in the UK (Welsh Borders).
Simon services my 7A38 movements. See this thread in the Workshop Section. :arrow:

Simon doesn't actively promote his watch repair services using Instagram or Facebook and doesn't even have a website. He relies simply on word of mouth recommendation. He no longer has time to post regularly on any of the major watch forums, other than on SCWF, as 'Sir Alan', where he's received numerous accolades for his work (for example here). One unfortunate consequence is a number of US SCWF members now send him their watches for service / restoration, rather than use longstanding acknowledged US-based repairers, who are also active on that forum, increasing his workload.

Although I don't have any first-hand experience of his workmanship, Guy Jeffery (RexworthyWatches on Instagram) appears to be another popular UK repairer and restorer of Seikos.

There are possibly other better known UK independents, such as Duncan Hewitt (a.k.a. thewatchbloke), but I wouldn't recommend them based on their excessively high charges and lengthy waiting lists.

The less said about Colorado, US-based watchsmith Spencer Klein (kleinvintagewatch) who appears to spend more time on YouTube promoting his services, than he does working on his customers' watches, the better - 1500 videos later !! :lol:

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: 7a38 Service

Post by Seiko7A38 »

Last year, In anticipation of questions on servicing like the OP's, I'd already penned some outline suggestions, making a few recommendations (and otherwise) in this thread: Approved / recommended service / repairers of Seiko 7Axx's. Apologies for any duplication. ;)