7A38-701A Not Working

Where to post about your modifications; strip-downs and rebuilds; successes and failures.
tecala1

7A38-701A Not Working

Post by tecala1 »

I accidentally wore the watch while playing squash and moisture from my wrist penetrated the movement (condensation on the glass). The time kept working for a while but then the chronograph stopped functioning and then the time eventually stopped.
I plan to replace the battery but are these watches repairable?
Best
Stewart

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: 7A38-701A Not Working

Post by Seiko7A38 »

If the condensation appeared inside your watch while playing squash (rather than in the showers afterwards), it points to the seals (pushers, crown and case-back) being in dire need of replacement. As far as grinding to a halt, your watch is probably very close to 40 years old and probably needs servicing.

Seiko 7Axx movements are eminently repairable, but stocks of a few components are now almost completely exhausted.

If you want some more reading on the matter: Bend it, Mend it - Mods & Wreckers
Or better, the equivalent section of the old archived forum: Bend it, Mend it - Mods & Wreckers

tecala1

Post by tecala1 »

Thank for the fast reply. I saw somewhere that Seiko is willing to work on these and will do an overhaul for $175. Do you like their work or can it be trusted. I also saw a message that they can give up on a watch fairly quickly.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I have no personal experience of Seiko's US repair centre, but I have read many negative reviews over the years.
Mostly on SCWF - for example: https://www.thewatchsite.com/threads/se ... os.336585/

Here's the relevant extract from this thread: Approved / recommended service / repairers of Seiko 7Axx's
Seiko7A38 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:33 am USA, Canada, Mexico and South Americas

COSERVE Seiko U.S.A. Service Center in Mahwah, New Jersey.
Have received lots of negative reviews over the years, even though they're the official Seiko US repair agent.

tecala1

Post by tecala1 »

Thank you again for your responsiveness.