Seiko 7a38 restorations

The place to ask questions; hopefully get some help - and share advice.
asjc240

Seiko 7a38 restorations

Post by asjc240 »

Hi all,

I've recently purchased two(!) more Seiko 7a's, (7a38-7080 and 7a28-7039) where both sellers described their respective watches to have issues and sold 'as is'.
IMG_3474_11zon.jpg
IMG_3474_11zon.jpg (238.49 KiB) Viewed 589 times
When I asked, the 7a38-7080 seller described that the watch keeps time buts the chrono second hand did not want to move. I figured the seller wasn't familiar with the issue considering he named his listing 'Vintage Seiko Japan GIUGIARO Sports 100 Chronograph Men's Quartz Watch' despite including a photo of the case back with the reference number. Thanks to this forum, what he described seemed like a a common issue well documented with its own thread on this forum aptly named: 'The commonest self-inflicted fault on 7Axx's'. Removing the case back after receiving the watch revealed a surprisingly clean movement and that exact issue; I re-centered the finger tension spring and everything is functional.

However its clear from the photo that the watch is well worn, with 2 noticeable scratches on the crystal and a chewed up bezel. What's the consensus on replacement parts? I've confirmed with Yobokies that their replacement bezel insert for the 7a28-7040/7a28-7049 fits here but the bezel itself is already had most of its PVD finish worn off, and I'm also wondering if a sapphire crystal replacement is at all worth it? Lastly, any experience or knowledge on restoring the PVD finish? If not then my sharpie is on standby :lol:

P.S. Figured I'd just tack this on while we're here - my 7a38-7270 had a sticky pusher situation, and I've removed the pushers and cleaned out all the gunk inside. However the pushers are still sticking and don't seem to have gotten looser, with or without the movement behind them. What could be going on here?

Thanks!

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: Seiko 7a38 restorations

Post by Seiko7A38 »

You didn't say, but did you lubricate the pushers with Silicone grease when you reassembled them ? The pusher O-rings sometimes harden with age, which perversely seems to give them a tendency to stick.

asjc240

Post by asjc240 »

Yes I did, but it did not help much. Is it possible the pushers were from another model and thus different in dimensions? Since all three are sticking

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I suggest you try fitting new O-rings. I'll warn you it's a fiddly job. You may find this thread from the old archived forum useful. Easy fix of an eBay seller's 7A38-7270 ? Let's see.

asjc240

Post by asjc240 »

Thanks for the resource and impressively thorough documentation. Im going to purchase some watch repair tools as this certainly wont be easy for me.

By the way Paul, have you seen anyone or any examples of these 7ax8 watches where the hardlex crystals have been replaced with sapphire? Cheers

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I've seen 7A38's fitted with replacement sapphire crystals listed on eBay. Never owned one. Don't see the point. It's overkill. Other than the JDM 7A38-7030, which has a Sapphire crystal, Seiko Hardlex was always deemed adequate.