Please "help me" 🙏 - case assembly

The place to ask questions; hopefully get some help - and share advice.
Andrea80

Please "help me" 🙏 - case assembly

Post by Andrea80 »

Good morning,
after some failed trials, I decided to write here to asking help to the expert users about how re assembly the 7Axx case.
Just an introduction: I'm not an expert, I for sure don't believe my jobs are comparable with watchmakers results, for me it's just an hobby that sometimes makes me satisfied and sometimes makes me angry πŸ˜….
The topic is, what's the best way to assembly a 7A38 case, tips and tricks that can increase the probability to make a good job.
In my last jobs I had big problems assembling the glass and bezel using the old gaskets (when it's impossible find the original or the replacement on Cousins). Especially about the bezel... I find it very hard to assembly.
My questions are:
- where it's preferable put the gasket (properly lubricated): on the case or on the bezel? The last I assembled was putted in the bezel but maybe it was just a fluke
- when I have to assembly the glass: before the bezel installation or after? I usually assembled glass as last part, but maybe assembling it before can increase the surface for press die reducing the "tilting"issue during pressing the bezel in the case?
- how pre assembly the part? Often it's very hard to guarantee any angular misalignment between parts, can the gap from parts regain the correct position? Sometimes I think the chamfer for help the assembly it's too small, it's seems inexistent...
Almost same questions I think still valid for the crystal installation.
I have just bought a new press from cousins, it's the screw version:
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/screw ... ode=C41040, I hope it can helps me in the future 🀞🏻.
Thank very much for anyone could help me, I appreciate very much any kind of help and please be patient for my basic questions and issue πŸ˜…

Andrea80

Re: Please "help me" 🙏 - case assembly

Post by Andrea80 »

I add some pictures about tilting issue and incorrect pre assembly.
The last trial costed me almost 40€ to buy an original gasket from a profiteering eBay seller... 😏
Just as last question related this sadly experience: except Cousins, are there any other places to find aftermarket good quality gaskets for our 7Axx? I'm thinking about quite hard to find black crystal gasket, or bezel gasket.
Thanks again πŸ™πŸ˜…

IMG-20220126-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220126-WA0001.jpg (151.11 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG-20220126-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20220126-WA0003.jpg (117.06 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG-20220126-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220126-WA0004.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 5459 times

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

Yes Andrea. Sometimes it can be extremely difficult to re-fit the bezel to a 7Axx watch case, even when you're re-using the old (pre-compressed) nylon gasket, which I recommend. New Seiko gaskets can be almost impossible to fit, because of the very tight tolerances and great care is needed to ensure the parts are properly aligned, before attempting to press together. Regarding your question whether it's better to fit the gasket to the bezel, or inside the lip of the watch case, I have found it depends on the case reference. If you cannot manage to make the OEM Seiko gasket fit, then it's possibly worth considering some of the other gasket manufacturers, like Sternkreuz and ISO Swiss which are also stocked by Cousins. However, you will need to take very accurate measurements, before deciding which to order.

Andrea80

Post by Andrea80 »

Many thanks Paul for your kind reply... Before read your answer I thought it was just my problem... Up to now I've a 50% of success πŸ˜… but I'm always scared when after many many hours of job is time to reassembly the watch case... It seems so easy compared to all the other job that restore a watch is needed and instead... Here I am angry and worried about results ☹️
About the case now I'm playing with two watches:
1) 7A38-7060. I bought it just as spare part/donor to eventually repair my other 7Axx but at the end I decided I like it and it deserve a bit of attentions πŸ˜….
2) 7A38-6010. I tried to remove it's very worn and ugly black coating trying to replicate the case finish of 7A38-6040 (even I've some doubts about case back finish πŸ€”). I posted mi WIP job also here πŸ˜…, even I know in general Franken watches isn't so appealing.

Just to not go out of topic: did you ever tried to fit sternkreuz gasket for bezels in case 7A38-706x (or similar)? Last time I tried with my 7A28 panda with a red gasket it was a disaster... At the end I asked to a watchmaker... Pretty sad for this defeat 😭
I can measure quite precisely the dimensions but I don't know it the measure I can found fit or not, in general I found aftermarket parts harder to fit compared to genuine Seiko parts.
I'll made some trial with new press when it arrives but now I'm more scared than before πŸ˜…πŸ˜–

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

Andrea80 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:18 pmJust to not go out of topic: did you ever tried to fit sternkreuz gasket for bezels in case 7A38-706x (or similar)?
Yes I have, though I honestly can't remember which 7A38-xxxx case I used them on. I have a takeaway container box that contains 6 different sizes of Sternkreuz / ISO Swiss / Cousins white nylon gaskets - and they're NOT all the usual Sternkreuz p/n IG318310H (31.8mm OD x 31.0mm ID) that I sometimes use as a 'custom' crystal gasket on my stainless 7A38-7280's. So I was evidently experimenting with something else at the time.

I will need to revisit this in the near future, because I messed up the original white nylon bezel / case gasket on one of my two-tone 7A38-7260's, by accidentally stabbing it with my case knife as I removed the bezel. :roll: I had decided to fit a NOS bezel, to improve its appearance, but forgot how tricky this case was to reassemble. To get it right, you need to perfectly align the elliptical bezel with the case (and the dummy rivets with the 'peaks' on the sides of the case / lug gaps). It uses a slightly shallower gasket than most, Seiko p/n 86179051. I had one in my stock. Normally, when re-using the old gasket, in this application, I would fit it to bezel, rather than inside the case flange. Tried that, damaged it. :oops: Once you've even slightly distorted one of these gaskets, you can forget it. Bought two more from Cousins @ Β£8 each. :x Damaged one of those, trying to press the bezel home. :cry: So now I'm probably going to investigate alternative gaskets.

Andrea80

Post by Andrea80 »

Here I am... Sorry if I was disappeared... It's a busy period 😏
I'd like to test some alternatives too... For both, bezel and glass gasket .. but I think black glass gaskets are very hard to find in this dimensions...
For some other parts I tried a non conventional solution: with a nail file I increased just a bit the chamfer on the gasket... This is usually sufficient to guarantee the assembly.
I don't know if also for bezel gasket it would works.
I tried to put mine in the bezel but it seems just to big... Maybe a bit deformed... I definitely think it will be very hard to fit in 😭.
Just some days ago I received my new press from cousins... It's a screw press... I used to reassembly my 7A38-6010... It's a big step forward compared to my previous Chinese press... It definitely worth the money!

Andrea80

Post by Andrea80 »

Paul, just another question related to this "help me" post... Sorry if I'm abusing of your time and knowledge πŸ˜…
For my 7A38 6010 converted into the 6040 I ordered the ss crown from Cousins: Crown, Seiko 45M60NK1 (SS)
But I received something strange... I attached a picture πŸ€”

IMG-20220217-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20220217-WA0010.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 5328 times

But coming to the point, now I need the stem for my watch... I searched on Cousins the 354728 but it's obsolete... Do you know some alternatives currently available on Cousins? I searched also in the old forum but I can't find anything 😒

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

Andrea. If you ordered Seiko p/n 45M60NK1 from Cousins then you received exactly what you asked for. That 'K1' part number is the grey painted crown used on the PVD coated 7A38-704A /-704B /-704C and 7A38-7040. Cousins list four different versions of Seiko p/n 45M60Nx1 crowns. Admittedly their descriptions can sometimes be a bit misleading. :roll:

Cousins-45M60Nx1-CrownOptions.png
Cousins-45M60Nx1-CrownOptions.png (20.22 KiB) Viewed 5324 times

The correct stainless part you should have ordered (as used on the 7A38-6000 / 7A38- 6040, etc.) is p/n 45M60NS1.

It surprises me that Cousins are showing the stem p/n 354728 as 'Obsolete'. One can only assume that Seiko UK informed them it is no longer available. I'm not aware of any other Seiko stem that might fit, but then I've never had the need to search for an alternative before. Just quickly checking eBay, most of the sellers who were previously listing them are now also showing 'out of stock'. Another UK wholesaler Gleave & Co are still showing them in stock, but @ Β£7.50 each.

But what's wrong with re-using your old stem ? All you need do is carefully unscrew the old gold-plated crown. They're only held on by a few turns of thread and a tiny blob of locking compound that probably dried out years ago. Plus as it's already within tolerances, you'll save yourself the effort of cutting / grinding a new stem to exactly the right length.

Andrea80

Post by Andrea80 »

Damn... Before to buy the crown I checked on Boley but for any 6xxx model is reported all the crown variants so when I read the SS suffix on Cousins I was sure to had the correct choice 😭
Anyway I solved the problem with almost half an hour of work.

IMG-20220219-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20220219-WA0001.jpg (176.65 KiB) Viewed 5299 times

About the stem I'm very surprised to discover that some profittering seller are pushing this part to 60/70$! Crazy! I found it at almost at 20€... But still annoying to me spend so much for it 😏
You're absolutely right about reuse the original stem with new crown, but honestly I'm quite scared to unscrew it... I never tried to do it πŸ˜….
So I don't know if I need to unscrew it rotating in anti clockwise side or clockwise and most important how retain the stem without risk to deform or bent it... But after reading your suggestion I'm quite convinced to try 🀞🏻
Any suggestions are been appreciated πŸ˜…

Andrea80

Post by Andrea80 »

I've bee trying just right now... I don't think I can do that... I tried with two different stems but also applying a quite high force no one is unscrewed 😏
Maybe the threadlocker during the years is gluing strongly the parts... As usual, the last part I need to assembly to finish a watch is the hardest 😭

Andrea80

Post by Andrea80 »

Why not Italy 😭😭😭

Screenshot_20220219-233416.jpg
Screenshot_20220219-233416.jpg (215.82 KiB) Viewed 5286 times