A totally different league of Franken watch

As close as it gets to an Off Topic section
Seiko7A38
Site Admin

A totally different league of Franken watch

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I suspect some readers may consider my continued exposées of franken Seiko 7A38's and the devious eBay sellers who deliberately misrepresent them a bit pointless and trivial. In a way they are, because despite my salutary warnings, some mug punter usually ends up buying them. Besides, worst case we're only talking about a few hundred dollars.

Whereas I have 'anorak' level knowledge of my subject matter, I admit to knowing very little about the exalted world of rare vintage Rolexes. This recent thread on TZ-UK is more than slightly off topic for this forum, but certainly worthy of mention. It concerns the auction sale of a frankened 'Paul Newman' Rolex Daytona Panda (worth approx. $100 - $150K) which was converted into a more desirable 'Sotto' Reverse Panda, potentially worth $1.1M.

DubiousRolexDaytona(Sotto)-TZ-UK-Post.png
DubiousRolexDaytona(Sotto)-TZ-UK-Post.png (27.77 KiB) Viewed 4107 times

The linked article FRANKEN/FAKE OYSTER “SOTTO” DAYTONA (RCO) AT CHRISTIE’S HONG KONG by an acknowledged vintage Rolex (and Panerai) expert Perezcope a.k.a. Jose Pereztroika (also on Instagram) which exposed this franken is absolutely superb reading, particularly in the astonishingly detailed level of proof provided. My hat's off to you, Sir ! 👍

RolexDaytonaPanda-Sotto-Instagram-perezcope.jpg
RolexDaytonaPanda-Sotto-Instagram-perezcope.jpg (226.9 KiB) Viewed 4060 times

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: A totally different league of Franken watch

Post by Seiko7A38 »

From the link in the Perezcope blog article, the watch was Lot 10 in Christies' Hong Kong No Time Like Present sale which took place earlier today. It initially appeared as if Christies were going to attempt to brazen it out and proceed with the auction, despite having been made fully aware of the potential fraud, as they went to the trouble of editing their description slightly.

rsz_dubiousrolexdaytonasotto-perezscope.jpg
rsz_dubiousrolexdaytonasotto-perezscope.jpg (242.87 KiB) Viewed 4098 times

Evidently Christies HK decided it wasn't worth the risk of considerable adverse publicity. The lot was withdrawn early this morning (and other subsequent lots re-numbered to conceal the removal) without any explanation being given.

It was also discussed at length on the Rolex forum (which I don't normally frequent), in this appropriately titled thread:
Franken/fake oyster “sotto” daytona (rco) at christie’s hong kong