Cartier Ferrari Formula - price gap

Where to post about Cartier Ferrari Formulas, Orient J39s, Yema N7s and N8s, etc.
jamesam

Cartier Ferrari Formula - price gap

Post by jamesam »

Quite a gap in the price of these two currently listed 7A38s.

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m65190909994 or
https://buyee.jp/mercari/item/m65190909994

IMG-9733 Cartier Ferrari  b1.jpg
IMG-9733 Cartier Ferrari b1.jpg (31.39 KiB) Viewed 743 times

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225088356724

IMG-9733 Cartier Ferrari  b3.jpg
IMG-9733 Cartier Ferrari b3.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 743 times

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: Cartier Ferrari Formula - price gap

Post by Seiko7A38 »

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, James, but there have always been pricing anomalies in more desirable variants of Seiko 7A38, particularly the Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531 - especially when chancers are trying it on. If you haven't already done so, may I suggest you read through this thread on the old archived forum, which documents the ups and downs of red dial variants over nine years: Ferrari Formula Fever - when the Red Mist comes down ....
The final post in January 2021 is about a NOS condition model # F6434801, with a ludicrous asking price of €2500 Euros !

You didn't include links in your original post; I've edited it and inserted them. The first watch with the ridiculous asking price of ¥298,000 Yen (equivalent to approx. $2,123.64 USD), is listed on the Japanese e-commerce site mercari.jp. The seller is clearly a chancer of the highest order. If you translate his description, he hasn't even bothered to replace the flat battery and states: Currently, the battery is dead, so please arrange for replacement by yourself.

By coincidence, another example of exactly the same model (F6594901) in similar condition was listed in the early hours of this morning by a profiteering German eBay re-seller with an asking price less than half the Japanese chancers - he's asking 'only' €890 Euros (compared to that ludicrous ¥298,000 Yen). Personally, I'd opine that's still pushing his luck.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275876994333

CartierFF-7A38-Black+Gold-RedFace-BlackSharkStrap-eBay(Germany)-May2023-Listing.jpg
CartierFF-7A38-Black+Gold-RedFace-BlackSharkStrap-eBay(Germany)-May2023-Listing.jpg (180.09 KiB) Viewed 726 times

You see, this greedy German eBay re-seller only purchased the watch less than a fortnight ago, winning an auction by another German eBay seller for a mere 286 Euros !! Trust me, the serial number 228540 matches. ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferrari-by-C ... 5717902589

CartierFF-7A38-Black+Gold-RedFace-BlackSharkStrap-eBay(Germany)-May2023-Ended-Sold-286Euros.png
CartierFF-7A38-Black+Gold-RedFace-BlackSharkStrap-eBay(Germany)-May2023-Ended-Sold-286Euros.png (46.78 KiB) Viewed 710 times

Incidentally, the leather strap variants tend to command lower prices than the bracelet versions, even when the leather strap happens to be the original Ferrari branded item (as in this instance).

Your second item, the stainless two-tone model F6104801, asking $700 bar one cent, listed by a Romanian eBay seller, isn't the (comparative) bargain it might at first seem. That example looks quite well worn and the once matt brushed case has taken a polish. The biggest indicator that it's also overpriced for the condition is the fact that it's been listed since July 2022 and still remains unsold, despite the seller having twice reduced the Buy-it-Now price.

jamesam

Post by jamesam »

A question if you're inclined to engage.
As for the first German seller, I probably would have considered the €286 Euros ($307 USD) reasonable, or at least close to reasonable. Do you disagree?

As for the stainless two-tone, I probably would not have had the relevant knowledge or ability to discern that it had been polished. Which is why I've been pretty conservative with the 6 vintage watches that I've purchased online since acquiring this interest in 2020 -- 2 have been NOS never worn Yema N8s and 3 have been under $150 USD.

Excuse me for not including links, but I didn't think you'd find them useful since I was able to post photo s of the listings and the links ultimately become unusable.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

No, I agree. The original German seller's auction had a low-ish opening bid price of €99.99 Euros. I certainly would have had a go at bidding on it, except I think (IIRC) the seller was blocking bids from outside Germany. Hence the reasonable (lower than average) selling price of only €286 Euros.

jamesam

Post by jamesam »

I just purchased a NOS Yema N81W63 last week -- gold tone w/ gold dial -- for $115. Have had my eyes open for an N81W63 in good condition since seeing photos of yours, and prefer the silver and blue dial, but the price on this gold one was too good to pass up. I should have it by the end of this week.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Post by Seiko7A38 »

James. What you've got to take into account is that you're not really comparing eggs with eggs. Yes both watches are based on re-branded 7A38 movements, but there's a vast disparity in desirability (hence price) between a red-dialed Cartier Ferrari Formula and a blingy gold-dialed Yema N8 whose dubious style was cribbed from an antique Breguet.