Michel Platini once wore a Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531

Where to post about Cartier Ferrari Formulas, Orient J39s, Yema N7s and N8s, etc.
Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Michel Platini once wore a Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531

Post by Seiko7A38 »

If you follow Football and read the tabloids, you'll no doubt have seen photos of highly (over) paid players and managers wearing expensive watches. Hublot seems to be the favourite brand nowadays and the blingier 'Big Bang' the better. :roll: Hublot are one of the current sponsors of the UEFA football championship series, per this quote from their website.
Hublot is the Official Watch of the major competitions of UEFA men’s football (UEFA EURO™, UEFA Nations League Finals, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League) and UEFA women’s football (UEFA Women’s EURO and UEFA Women’s Champions League).
Back in the 1980's Seiko held the franchise, as I've recently documented in this UEFA themed thread in the 7A38 section.

I did think about adding these couple of related posts onto that thread, but decided to create a short separate topic.

Seiko7A38
Site Admin

Re: Michel Platini once wore a Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531

Post by Seiko7A38 »

Michel Platini is a French football administrator and former player and manager. He was president of UEFA from 2007 to 2015 (until ousted in a corruption scandal and banned). Platini is still considered to be one of the greatest players of all time. In 1984, Platini captained France to success in the European Championship on home soil. His individual impact on the tournament was huge with nine of France's 14 goals in just five games (the top goal scorer in Euro '84).

As part of my research in that other thread, I've been searching (in vain) for photos of any referees or other officials at Euro' 84 wearing a Seiko 7A38-7020 SAA009J. While I was browsing my photo folders, I came across this superb portrait of Michel Platini, which someone kindly sent me last year. Apologies to whoever it was, for the lack of credit given.

rsz_cartierff-7a38-stainless-gold-goldface-sharkleatherstrap-instagram-michelplatini.jpg
rsz_cartierff-7a38-stainless-gold-goldface-sharkleatherstrap-instagram-michelplatini.jpg (241.83 KiB) Viewed 4026 times

The watch Michel's wearing in that photo is a Cartier Ferrari Formula Cal. 531. The stainless two-tone case, gold dial and notched grey shark strap identify it as model # F660.49.73 (centre bottom row in this 1988 catalogue image):

CartierFerrariFormula-1988-Catalogue-F659.49xx-F660.49xx.jpg
CartierFerrariFormula-1988-Catalogue-F659.49xx-F660.49xx.jpg (209.39 KiB) Viewed 4017 times